UK Student University Education Health Insurance For International School


European Students

Under EU/EEA regulations, students from other member states who are attending a course of study are entitled to free hospital services provided they have Form E.109 with them. In order to be eligible, you will be required to provide the Irish health authorities with documentation from your home country that validates your entitlement.

You should, therefore, contact the Health Authority in your home country, well in advance of traveling to Ireland, to fulfill any registration requirements and to obtain the necessary forms that you will need. From 1st June 2004, the E111 and a number of other ‘E’ forms (i.e. E128) have been replaced by a new European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The EHIC must be obtained in the home country before departure.

Non European Students in Ireland

Students from non-EU countries are not covered for any free medical attention off-campus and must, therefore, have their own private insurance. Please note that heavy levies are charged for all hospitalization and it is advised to make provision for adequate medical insurance. Non-EU students are required to show proof of comprehensive medical insurance when registering with the Garda National Immigration Bureau. Proof of health insurance is also required when applying for a student visa.

Students are strongly advised to arrange insurance for private medical care as this ensures the choice of hospital, doctor and hospital accommodation in the event of illness.

Please note that you can only arrange health insurance with an Irish Health Insurance Provider when you are living in Ireland.